Monday, October 15, 2007


I'm Still Listening to Ann Coates
Nothing like vaguely obscure music trivia to hit the ground running...

Ah Saturday night...

On Saturday night, I found myself...somewhat against my will...at the Palladium in Hollywood, in order that I might take in one Steven Patrick Morrissey...known most commonly by his last name.

Why do I say 'somewhat against my will'? Well, it's mostly in jest at the strongarm job done by the far more radical fans amongst my social circle to get me to go. It's not that I don't like the man or his music (ok, sometimes, I feel he's a little too 'Morrissey' on some of the songs)...I just didn't develop the same sort of fervor for it in my angst-ridden heyday.

I tried to explain, that as I was growing up...if you were into that sort of music, you were either a fan of The Cure or The Smiths/Morrissey. I must say that the Smith I chose was Robert Smith, and was very much The Cure fan. I never went so far as to put the make-up on, nor did I veer very much farther into Goth territory...but I liked the music...sometimes, too much.

Nevertheless, I was aware of The Smiths and Morrissey's music. In fact, some friends I did on occasion break into a sort of oddball barbershop quartet of The Smiths' 'Handsome Devil'. If you are familiar with the tune, you might be having a little chuckle at the thought. If you are not, I suggest looking it up and then imagining it. Either way, I'm sure if we did that in any school now, we'd be suspended for a few days and forced into some sort of gender sensitivity training. (Like I said, look it up.)

Over the past few years, those with whom I share a fair amount of music have increased my Morrissey quotient to far greater numbers than I had in previous years...and I confess, though I'm passed those moody angst-ridden days of yor (you can believe it or not! ha!), I like the stuff. I think it's too late for me to become a fanatic, or to run out and snatch up all the recordings...but the appreciation, it's grown considerably.

So, Saturday...

My first big kudo to the man comes in the form of the pre-show show. Once the opening act left the stage, the backdrop behind them became a screen for a string of video clips from a New York Dolls performance (and yes, I know I have Moz to thank for getting to see them perform a few years ago) to old French advertising to a James Dean screen test. Now, as much as I like watching roadies test and check all the mics and instruments, this was a better way to spend the half hour in wait. Furthermore, I have to say, even with the basic knowledge I have of Morrissey...it was a primer of sorts, and completely warmed the crowd up.

He opened with "How Soon is Now" which is still a powerful and commanding way to open a set. In fact, I was surprised at how much heavier and rocking the show was. Now some of this might be due to its being closing night of series he did that week in Los Angeles, but even so it was a much more driven set than I would've expected. Throughout the set, he held a strong sway over the tempo and the crowd, the band was ultra-tight, and the feeling of concert-lull was kept at a minimum. And I must confess, there is an element of excitement, even for someone who's not a great fan, to get to see someone as iconic as Morrissey especially when he's got great reign on his musical prowess.

And I should say...he definitely knows how to play to his crowd. Nor have I ever seen a group of people so feverishly enthralled to see a performer. They were enraptured. Haha...fortunately the sound was good (at least where I was) that the crowd's enthusiastic recitation of the lyrics didn't drown out their idol...but seriously, as long as the musician's were out there, Morrissey could've gone off stage, had a beer, eaten a sandwich, and they would've continued singing the song without him. Throughout the set, they waved gifts and letters to him...and he had a fun running commentary as he reached as many as he could that was both gracious and healthily tongue-in-cheek. Surprisingly, despite the orgiastic fervor near the front every time he reached out to grasp hands, only one skinny Asian guy got on stage to grope him for a moment before being pulled away.

On a side note, watching the fans, I couldn't help thinking of the Cure show I had gone to years before. It was a stadium show, and packed to capacity. As we walked around to our section, a funny thought occured. For all any of us knew, Robert Smith could've been wandering the crowds having a hot dog and a beer, and no one would've known in the sea of look-a-likes.

At this show...well, you can't take Morrissey's look quite as far...but there was one poor fellow with blond hair who tried to imitate the haircut...which ultimately made him far more Vanilla Ice than Moz.

Anyhow, I had a very enjoyable time, and was sure to thank my host for holding me at gunpoint to go. Also, I think the time was right. I'm not sure why, but the older, heavier, mature Morrissey is far more to my liking than the long-limbed willowy character I remember seeing from my youth. There's something in the charisma of his age and stature that grounds him more in my reality...whatever that means....

Finally...he did play my favorite of his repertoire "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself"...although to a minor letdown he didn't pack the wallop behind it like he had other former slower numbers like "Shoplifters of the World"...but said criticism only fluttered through my mind before I told myself to just shut up and enjoy it...

Cheers.

No comments: