Friday, October 05, 2007


Mom...Dad...It’s all Ridley Scott’s Fault...
My dream of being a Mod-superstar is over...

I've got a confession that I'm going to make.

Most of you already know it...but to the greater hip population of the world, this may come as a revelation.

I really really love Ridley Scott's Blade Runner...and have...oh, more or less have ever since I convinced my dad to rent it when I was in the fourth grade because it was in the sci-fi section, and Han Solo was on the cover.

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to cop to some sort of childhood preternatural discriminating movie taste...I also convinced my dad to take me to see Dungeonmaster (this http://imdb.com/title/tt0089060/ ...although they took down the good poster for it) at about the same time.

I went to see the newly released "final cut" in the theater this morning...and yeah, it was the first screening...but I didn't go out of any desire to fly the Dork-nation flag. I just went then because it was early, it was a weekday, and I was hoping no one would be there (see my last post...and in reference, the guy who sat next to me was breathing so loud I began to wonder if he was trying to inhale stuff off the floor...and he brought in his lunch...oh it's a whole separate thing...). It wasn't crowded, but I was surprised at how many people were there for the time and the day.

And there was this one lady...

Now keep in mind...I've been to Star Wars screenings...I got taken to a premier of a Star Trek movie...I've done Rocky Horror...hell, I went to a midnite Raiders of the Lost Ark screening with about 2 dozen half-assed Indiana Jones...(notice I haven't even touched on my trips to San Diego's Comic-Con in this list)...and yeah, I've seen the chubby dude who made his Tron outfit. I'm no stranger to costumes in movie theaters.

But in her beige trench coat and whatnot...it was decidedly more Dr. Who than Rick Deckard...even with the neon-shaft umbrella that she popped open during the credits. And she let out a loud "Whoo-Hoo!" at the Ladd logo...and at the end credits...

My point is that she was a fan...and obviously a very enthusiastic one. In fact, I think that maybe the girlfriend of the dude behind me appeared to be the only person who hadn't seen the movie in the entire theater. It has fans. It has a considerable fanbase. There's message boards devoted to it. There's people who've copied the poster font, and used the logo on things.

I have no problem with that. It's a visionary movie (if a little thin on solid plot ground), and it still holds up, and still has copycats today. Writing this now...I'm only proving that I'm a part of that camp, that nation.

The problem (and wherein my shame lies) is that I live in Los Angeles. If it's not embarrassing (and painfully pretentious for some reason) to say I'm a writer in this town, it's admitting that Blade Runner is one of my influences. And dammit if I didn't also go to film school....do you see where I'm going? Amongst my generation, Blade Runner is second only to Star Wars as the most clichéd title to be mentioned as one's reason for getting into the movies!

Although at least it has enough artistic integrity for me to continue thumbing my nose at the people with GI Joe and Nintendo tattoos...and I do, you know.

But there's nothing to represent the same aesthetic exactly. Film Noir came before it of course, but using that is even more cliché AND pretentious...and as for earlier sci-fi, umm...Logan's Run or The Black Hole just aren't the same. And the stuff that came after...well, it's derivative of Blade Runner and every film snot in town will be happy to remind you of that.

To some degree, I blame this on the internet and the large scale connectivity across border and nation (hey, like this website here!). Before the internet, I WAS the guy showing Blade Runner to my "unenlightened" friends...and then nodding cooly in hip cabal with the guys who had already seen it. Now this kind of crap is everywhere...and frighteningly enough, I'm sure I could now find guys who did the same thing as me getting their dads to take them to Dungeonmaster!

It's like that joke I heard this comedian tell once about China that went something like this: "There's 1 billion people there. If someone told you that you were 'one in a million'...there's still a thousand other guys out there just like you..."

-----

Ok, ok. Most of what I'm saying here is in jest, largely because I'm tired of people defining themselves by the popular culture they were exposed to while growing up...probably because I was the first guy I knew who did that...and now everyone I meet or see seems to do that...

Blade Runner is still very special to me because of the place it takes me to, especially since most movies fail to take me on such a special journey into a richly detailed movie world. I mean, I've seen it at least a hundred times, (this was the third time I've seen it in the theater) and I still noticed all sorts of little things I'd never seen (not including the little things they added or changed for this edition). And the scene where Deckard shoots Zhora in the back as she runs through the panes of glass is still one of the most chilling scenes of romanticized violence I've ever seen.

But also, it's inspiring for me in a completely different way...one that sometimes gives me hope. When Blade Runner was made, Jaws and Star Wars had already come and changed the movie world to the Summer Blockbuster Universe (that paved the way for a lot of the bloated nonsense still in theaters today). Somehow, Ridley Scott managed to slip this semi-esoteric existentialist film noir/sci-fi hybrid through the system...have it flop, haha...and somehow still be a cinematic landmark...with a goofy fanbase.

The funny this is that this form of inspiration sort of affirmed when I went to see The Darjeeling Limited an hour later. Sure it's the polar opposite type of movie...but in a universe of Bay/Bruckheimer movies (them together and separate)...Wes Anderson still gets to make his quirly little movies...

There is a way...

Cheers.

No comments: