Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Strike Up the Band
I dunno...

Gonna be honest: Lately I've been way to drained to honestly come up with what I want to write about in these things.

I never get to finish movies any more, old or new. I don't usually like writing any kind of review of something I've seen unless it's been a really long time and I really found some new stuff in it. Otherwise, what's the point.

I don't get much time to read. It's been taking forever to get through the few books I've got lying around my place.

Not that I talk about it here, but I don't get much time to draw either.

I do read what few comics that I get when I get a chance, but there's a certain degree of rarity in that. And there's not much to talk about them. Comics seem to be in a real mediocre phase. They're either for fanboys or trying to rope in new readers. The artwork is either sub-par or rendered pedestrian by the sheer number of people who draw exactly the same way. After all aren't you sick of seeing everything done up manga style? I sure am. What little manga I tend to like, I like one way: Japanese. I don't need to see some fanboy rip off wanna-be sh!t. If you do decide to go that route, you're really really got to show me something.

The more I think about it, the more it annoys me.

There've been a few things I've picked up, but only to look at where the artwork has been this unholy combination between Eastern and Western styles. With the big doe eyes but with the stylized exagerated body shapes it ends up looking like Disney characters on methamphetamines. It doesn't fly.

Then there's all the other all too slick or way too sloppy stuff. That's followed by the overuse of that blocky colors art deco John Kricfalusi look, or some other cartoony style. There's just anothing distinguishing or exciting about any of it after a while.

Not that the writing's anything to write home about either. Most of it's ruined by too much hyper realism. As in, it's got to be way too realistic. I was all to happy to suspend my disbelief, but that doesn't really matter anymore.

There's nothing fun or individual about a lot of the characters anymore either.

Finally, why do both of the majors each of like fifty books for their two flagship titles. It may be carrying the rest of it...but it's still stupid.

Dunno. Just felt like bitching.

Cheers.

No comments: