Friday, August 27, 2004

Everything is Snafu....
You prove to me that it isn't.

It's gotten to the point that I'm digging for stuff to write here.

Literally.

Lemme explain The Process, otherwise known as the cop out posting.

Usually these things work in one of three ways:

1. The Review: In this case, it's almost always movies, though I've had a few book entries and what have you. I usually limit those reviews to things that are particularly interesting or difficult to find. The only thing that dreails a movie review is if I'm just not in the mood to think about it. That's usually the result of two things. The first is that I'm just not in the mood. That's it. Either I've got something I'd rather talk about or that I'm just plain p!ssed off about or riled up over. Occasionally the movie my tie into that or might have been the inspiration for whatever topic I do have floating around in my mind. The other reason is that I just need more time for the movie to sink in. That can be positive or negative. Either it addressed some loftier topic, and I'm trying to work it all out, or I'm just trying to figure out why it was bad or just didn't work. Then there's also the issue of trying to figure out where I think it fit in film history or in it's time period. I always enjoy figuring out where things come from and what they led to, or what inspired them and what they inspired.

I generally stick to movies because they're such a widespread and well known medium. You may not know the movie I'm talking about, but there's a decent chance that you'll know some of the other movies I might compare it to or the other movie stuff like the genre, director, writer or stars. Books, I get a little iffy on. I read quite a fair bit. Thing is I'm very specific about what I read, why I'm reading it, and when I read it. You, as my reader, don't necessarily need or want all that back story, nor in some cases could I explain it all to you. Also, I purposely read a lot of bad or trashy or whatever stuff again for a specific reason as it pertains to something else I'm doing or working on. So if I'm gonna review a book, it has to be something that really speaks to me. Also, I buy large quantities of music. My only qualifications for reviewing is merely the sheer volume I've bought and listened to, the many musicians I've worked with who have shared various insight, and my own research because of my extensive interest in and collection of music. I only briefly ever played music and don't have a large grasp over the technical workings of it. Suffice it to say, though I think I have good musical taste, I don't think I could intelligently write about it. Finally, I wouldn't ever review art. It's subjective. The End. That's how I feel about that.

2. The Topic: Granted this thing started with me thinking about the second tier super heroes and villains that kept me drawn into comics more than any of the mainstreamers had. In the same way, working in the entertainment industry, I get twiced as geeked out when I meet bit players, character actors, and B-movie veterans from stuff I loved as a kid than I do when I meet a "star." Anyhow, my topics for comics have largely run dry lately. I just haven't gotten the enjoyment out of them in recent years that I used to, and when it came to running down a backlog of old comics, I eventually had to run out of topics. I try to hit it up when I can. My other topics come from all over the place. A lot of it stems from the conversations that I've had with friends on any of a number of subjects. Some of it tends to come from news websites, and whatnot; however, it's usually not any specific article itself that speaks to me. Usually, over the course of several days worth of articles, it's trends that I start to notice, problems as a whole rather than their parts. You read enough about weight loss and plastic surgery, and it points toward vanity and self-image issues. You read enough about frivolous lawsuits and white collar crime, and you've got greed issues. You read about falling school grades and idiotic criminals...well, you've got it right. Then you really start cross-referencing and I can condense all three into one über-topic. The final ways I come up with "topics" is just my reaction to something that's happened or happening to me, and things that I've personally confronted lately.

3. The Rest: The final way I come up with stuff is like my thing on Nonsense the other day. One word or thought or whatever and I just start free-forming it. Most times it takes a shape and I run with it. Other times, one random thought leads to another, and I run with that.

Today...I didn't have any of those. Hence, the cop-out post.

There you have it.

Cheers.

No comments: